Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Reading Strategies


These strategy signs came from a gal named Wendy. Visit her blog here. These signs include 6 colorful strategy signs and the cover page (above). If you do get them from her Teachers Pay Teachers Shop, make sure to leave her an A+ and a comment! We used these every day. Each week, we focused on a different strategy and that strategy sign was always posted in the front of the room. We also had them in our individual guided reading groups. The kids used them constantly! At the end of our session, we put copies in each of their binders for not only future reference, but to also use as dividers. The kids put all of their completed work and unused graphic organizers related to each strategy in the proper section. This will hopefully give them a leg up next year and they can look back to their binders for reference. Thanks, Wendy!


In addition to Wendy's signs, I made a Predict/Infer reference sheet. Our kids were having so much trouble remembering which was which! So, in our open discussion, I related predicting to a fortune teller or a psychic. I asked kids what they thought of when they heard "fortune teller" or "psychic" (basically what is their schema of these words). They offered words like "crystal ball" and "tell the future." Perfect. That's exactly what predict means, even though we don't have crystal balls! Then I went on to infer. We discussed how infer means to make smart guesses based on clues, and who better to make smart guesses based on clues than a detective! Their words, not mine. I like it better when they think of these words because after all, they're more likely to remember it if they think on their own. So we used the correlation "Predict = Fortune Teller/Psychic" and "Infer = Detective"
  
 
Finally, we wanted to give our kids as many resources as we could, so we couldn't leave out graphic organizers! We chose some from resource books that we had and we found others on the internet. Let me tell you, if you haven't experienced *Pinterest yet, you are missing out! Pinterest is an online pin board where the best of the best ideas are shared. You make an account and "Pin" your favorite ideas on to your separate boards. I searched for "Graphic Organizers" and I found some awesome ones! After all, since so many Pinners are looking at them, only the best go viral. I would highly recommend only going on Pinterest if you have a solid uninterrupted few hours (at least!). Don't start looking for ideas at 11:45 P.M. as you will be up until 2:00 A.M. before you realize what time it is! Anyway, as I was saying, I found many of my favorite graphic organizers on Pinterest. I'm not going to overload them here, but you can visit my Pinterest page and look under my "School" board. I should probably reorganize since that board is getting rather big, but for now, you can find them there! They are also linked to their original owners, which is nice as I always like to know where my things came from.


*If you need a Pinterest invite to get on the site, leave your email and I'll send you one. You can also request one directly from the site, but it may take a few days for them to get you one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment